Remember back on January 1st when I posted my 2012 goals for the year?
I listed some pretty specific items that I wanted to conquer and I’ve certainly kept them in mind over these past 7 months. It’s probably time to check in on them and see how I’m doing. I’m a little nervous about this but you can’t do better if you don’t evaluate your current status regularly – right?
Here goes nothing…
1. Perfect a smoothie recipe – I’ve yet to make or even consume a smoothie this year. I thought I would be all about it this summer but I haven’t even thought about it honestly. When the urge comes back around for a smoothie I’ll definitely attempt to make one of my own.
2. Try one new recipe per month – I’ve tried some new recipes and I would say that I have probably tried about 6 or 7 so far in 2012 so I would say that this is on target! I want to try a lentil or another quinoa recipe – I’m really digging grains these days!
3. Continue my shunning of fast food restaurants – I am still 100% fast food free! I haven’t been to a fast food restaurant at all in 2011 or 2012 with the exception of vacation last year which I have to always include. I couldn’t go to CA without visiting In-N-Out & Del Taco. It just wasn’t going to happen. I have the occasional fast food french fry craving that I have managed to ignore and I deserve serious props for that considering I would call myself a reformed fast food addict.
4. No soda or sweet tea – This one has been a LOT harder than I thought it would be. It’s absolutely amazing the amount of soda and tea this country consumes – it’s everywhere. I have managed to stick to water and tea (sweetened with sugar in the raw or just unsweet) but it’s been hard at times. I do have to be completely honest and say that about a month ago I did order a Sprite at dinner one night but only drank half of it because a) it burned my throat the entire time and b) it just didn’t feel or taste right. I think that I can say that this is a success!
5. Frequent the Farmer’s Market more often – I’ve been a few times this year which is a start. I always have it on my weekend agenda but I don’t get out of the house in time to make it before it’s hot or completely packed. I need to make this more of a priority!
Status: Current but work on it more.
6. Focus on local business and more “Farm to Table” type restaurants when looking for somewhere to dine out – I have seriously been more focused on local restaurants and trying to steer family gatherings away from chain restaurants. We’ve been really successful! I can’t think about the last nationwide chain restaurant that I went to!
7. Buy bikes for the family – We have been looking into bikes and will probably make the plunge this fall when the weather gets a little more pleasant. We all want to do this!
8. Exercise as a family & keep a log – We have done walking together and 30 Day Shred videos but nothing is currently being done as a family. I’ll be bringing this back very quickly – we all enjoy working out together.
Status: Need to refocus. Pending
9. Ditch the cable – We officially cancelled cable in May and it’s been horrific. Okay, I don’t want to be dramatic or anything but tv brings me a LOT of happiness. You always hear about people saying that they ditched the cable and their lives were so much more productive, they were happier, etc. Oh bullshit. I want my cable and I want it now. We have a limited amount of channels (no dvr so what’s the point?) and we never watch it. I have purchased all the Real Housewives seasons and I buy other shows and watch them online as I can. It’s painful and I hate it. I want my effing cable back.
Status: Done but I’m SOOO not happy about it.
10. Make more time for my hobbies – I have definitely done this! I have read more this year than I can remember reading in a long time. 50 Shades of Grey, Room, Criminal, Breaking Twig, etc have been some memorable books this year. (You should be my friend on Goodreads!) I have also scrapbooked more (even had a scrapbook day here at the house with some of my buds)!
11. Picture of the Day & Project Life – I am 90% current on my Picture of the Day (I use the 365 app on my iPhone) and I have all of the photos for the Project Life project and printed the first 1/4 of the year but I have yet to start put them in the book. I want to get moving on this and get caught up for the year and go into the holiday season up to date. I’m going to work to make this happen!
Status: Current on Picture of the Day. Lagging on Project Life
12. Work on my relationship with God – I’ve been going to church pretty regularly and even getting more involved in helping out and being active. It’s felt good and I know that I need it. It really helps to have found a church with people who are authentic and genuine.
13. Log my food and exercise every day and stay within calorie range 6 days per week – Bwahahahaha! Um, yeah. This blog is titled “Nicole on a Mission” for a reason. I have a lot of work to do.
So I’ve got some work to do. I think all of these goals are completely attainable and I can hit them all by the end of the year. I need to get off my duff and get working on the ones that matter the most (food, exercise) and keep up the work with new recipes, etc. I hope my year end check in has Current & Completed next to every single goal!