It’s the last day of the month and we all know what that means! It’s Foodie Pen Pal reveal day! The day where I get to tell you about this awesome program, tell you what goodies I received from my Pen Pal and finally tell you how you NEED to get involved next month.
Off the bat you see all of the Snickers fun size Marathon bars that she stuffed the package with. Julie is a Marathon Bar Ambassador which is so cool! Thanks for sharing the love, Julie!
She spent alot of time and energy baking for me which I appreciated so much! First up: Fortunate Cookies w Motivational Messages!
My favorite part was the motivational messages that she included inside every one.
The next item that she made was the Oatmeal and raisin cookies with quinoa! Wow…what a great idea to put quinoa in cookies for that added punch!
Then, my absolute favorite item in the whole package I’ve saved for last. I always tell my Foodie Pen Pal buddies that peanut butter & chocolate is my favorite mixture and I’ll eat anything with those two mixed together. Julie made me some granola bars that had peanut butter and chocolate mixed in with granola, oats and rice cereal! I was hoarding these bad boys until they were gone (which didn’t take very long at all). Alexis is already asking when we can make these for ourselves. Very very soon!
Two of these bars and a cup of coffee was a wonderful morning meal. They were chocolaty and peanut buttery and had just the right amount of chewiness to them. I could go on and on. I’m going to include the recipe here because it was really awesome and everyone should make it.
Julie’s Granola Bars with Peanut Butter and Chocolate
*1/2 cup honey
*1/2 cup brown sugar
*1/2 cup peanut butter
*2 cups oats
*2 cups Crispy Rice cereal
*1/4 cup flax or chia seeds
*1 cup Mix-ins (she used chocolate chips)
Prepare 9×13 dish w/ wax paper. In a large bowl combine oats, cereal and chia seeds. In a small sauce pan combine honey and sugar on medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add peanut butter. Pour in dry ingredients and mix well. Add mix-ins and stir.
Pour into dish, allow to “firm” like rice crispy trats before cutting into bars.
Obviously, I had a wonderful Pen Pal this month and I’m so grateful for all of the extra time and energy that went into my box this month. Thanks Julie!! You were awesome! If you’d like to see the package that I sent to my Foodie Pen Pal this month it’ll be posted here.
And now it’s time for some details about Foodie Penpals. In case you’re a new reader, here’s a reminder of what the program is all about:
- On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penplas is open to US & Canadian residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.
If you’re interested in participating for April, please CLICK HERE to fill out the participation form and read the terms and conditions. You will also find contact information on that page for the UK branch of Foodie Penpals if you’re a blogger across the pond!
You must submit your information by May 4th as pairings will be emailed on May 5th!